Friday 17 February 2012

Standards based grading

I quick look over any teaching blogs and you will hear a lot about standards based grading. The idea is to give each pupils marks for each individual topic, and in this way you know better which topics to revisit and the pupils know their individual strengths and weaknesses and where they should look to improve.

Last week, much to my surprised delight, I got permission to try it out in my own classes. I now have a very colourful spreadsheet and a lot of marking to catch up on. Any pupils who get a score below a B on a topic will have to do more work on it and prove to me that they have come to understand it. This can be done on a revision test, extra homework or during maths clinic.

I will let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quick wins from Direct Instruction: Dimensions of Difficulty

This post was inspired by an episode of the Craig Barton podcast with Kris Boulton. Kris was acting as a salesman for Engelmann's Direct...