Saturday 21 July 2012

The Daily Grind

At the start of each term I come in to my job eager to work, full of ideas and goals. I genuinely get excited about teaching and how I can get better at it. A couple weeks in and I find myself burned out, doing last minute planning and putting off my goals for the next term. I still enjoy my work, but I only seem to have enough energy to get by. Does everyone else get like this? Is it something I can fix or is it part of the parcel of teaching or my long commute? Send your answers in on a postcard please.

I'm determined to at least try to alleviate this problem for next year, especially since I'll be taking on more responsibility than I've had before. I have a whole list of goals for next term, which will come in a post soon, but this goal feels so central that it deserves a to-do list all of its own. If you have any ideas for things I can add to it, please let me know.

Here are my ideas so far:
  • Make sure I keep all the resources I make or use neatly stored somewhere electronically - I used to just keep what I would deem as the kick-ass lesson ideas, and would save maybe 10 lessons a term. In the following year though, I would spend an extra half-hour remaking many of the more mediocre lessons because I still didn't get that flash of inspiration the second time around. This is just plain inefficient and I'm a bit embarrassed that I haven't stopped this earlier.
  • Have homework systemised and have students mark their own or a peer's work in class half of the time - I really hate marking homework. I find it really useful and I hope that the kids do too, but it is so tedious and I've never been very quick at it. Hopefully having it organised earlier will mean that I can time it to when I'm less busy (and make it fit in better with SBG).
  • Have a brief outline of every lesson done before the start of each term (more than just knowing the objectives) - I've recently seen some colleagues doing this. It looks like a lot of work initially, but I think it will allow me to think of lesson ideas when I'm at my least stressed and most creative and free up some time later in to the term.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quick wins from Direct Instruction: Dimensions of Difficulty

This post was inspired by an episode of the Craig Barton podcast with Kris Boulton. Kris was acting as a salesman for Engelmann's Direct...