Thursday 4 April 2013

Learning Creative Learning: Embracing Multiple Motivations

This is a post inspired by the Week 2 Lecture for Learning Creative Learning, the MIT Course I'm doing.

The emphasis of this course is clearly to promote creativity and play as an important motivation for learning. However, Mimi states in this video:
"So, its not that one is better than the other but I think that different people, different young people have different kinds of affective registers, different things that drive and motivate them."
 Making clear that this technique is not for everyone, and that it should not necessarily supplant some of the more traditional motivators (grades, etc.), but can be added in order to reach people for who are left disengaged by traditional motivators.
"I think the point of what we've been trying to pursue at least with our idea of connected learning and interest based learning is to really broaden the kinds of entry points, pathways, motivations and the ways we recognize learning so that it can accomodate more diversity of styles."
That inspired me to think about the different types of motivation I currently use and could use in my classroom to encourage learning. Hopefully this will help me to keep them in mind whilst lesson planning. I also found it interesting to categorise them in a way other than on the Extrinsic/Intrinsic scale discussed by Dan Pink and others. Then I made a pretty poster about it:


Let me know if I missed any.

I will also start a series of more in-depth posts about different ways to incorporate these motivators in lessons. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quick wins from Direct Instruction: Dimensions of Difficulty

This post was inspired by an episode of the Craig Barton podcast with Kris Boulton. Kris was acting as a salesman for Engelmann's Direct...