Friday 8 March 2013

Back to Basics: Intervention

My head of department recently showed me a chart she's created to help with intervention for pupils who are working below their target grade. This is what they look like:



The idea is that you put each student who is below target in to a ring of the concentric circles. You also give them codes (from the second sheet) as to why you think they haven't made their targets yet. Now you have a list of suggested intervention strategies you can use!

Some people in the department felt that this was too basic and didn't really give them anything they didn't know.

For me though, I think its really good to have all these strategies written down somewhere as a reference or a checklist of things to try out. Maybe its because I've moved around so much from school to school, but I think that this is an area where I could definitely improve. In future I plan to use these sheets to review the interventions I have done at least once a term.

Are there any other strategies you would add? Is it a little too formulaic? I already changed some of the wording of the sheet to make it a little less algorithmic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quick wins from Direct Instruction: Dimensions of Difficulty

This post was inspired by an episode of the Craig Barton podcast with Kris Boulton. Kris was acting as a salesman for Engelmann's Direct...